Beach Under Advisory | Environment
Lover's Point is under a beach advisory due to high levels of bacteria. The Monterey County Director of Environmental Health said they found bacteria in some samples taken on Monday. The beach will remain posted until samples indicate that indicator bacteria are at a safe level for recreational water contact according to state guidelines.
Higher levels of bacteria have been associated with the increased potential risk of illness. There are various sources of bacteria such as marine life (i.e. seals, otters, and birds) and other animals; rainfall runoff; storm drains; and human activity. Rainfall is associated with increased bacterial levels due to runoff particularly in the area of man-made and natural storm drains such as culverts, streams and rivers.
It is recommended that you do not swim in or have contact with storm drain water. Bacteria, viruses, protozoa or chemicals may contaminate storm drain water, and contact with storm drain water may cause illness.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bomb Squad Called Out to Investigate Suspicious Device Found in Seaside
- SANTCUARY CLASSIC: CHILDREN'S PHOTO AND FISHING CONTEST
- Roll-Over Accident Sends CalStar Helicopter to Seaside
- Bomb Squad Called to Seaside When Grenade Found During Monterey Murder Investigation
- Black Bear Spotted in Backyard of Home in Seaside